Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Floorplans

I am not a big fan of using miniatures in WFRPG. It takes away from the narrative. I rather scribble something abstract on a worn piece of paper... in blood. 

Anyhow, pushing old school lead across the old GW dungeon tiles definitely has something to it. I love the way they are drawn. The imperfections, small details and nice color choices. Take a look. Aren't they full of old school flavor?





I would use them sparingly, though. Maybe the highlight of a session. Slowly build up to it. Have your players discuss their positions. tactics, cover, line of sight etc. Keep in mind that the drawings most likely take away from their imagination. Remind them that there is stuff they could use… barrels, stones, broken tables etc. 

The question is how much you want to bend the session in the direction of a tactical game versus narrative? So, what additional rules are out there to enhance the tactical experience? Definitely in the light of sight is Warhammer Fantasy Battles. It seems suited to handle larger scale battles. Not sure if it supports person on person conflicts. I never tried it.

I probably should start investigating. 

Thoughts? Do you have any experience using WFB rules within WFRPG?

3 comments:

  1. I'm in agreement with you using minis in RP games. D&D is into it in a big way, but that's a game heavily entrenched in game mechanics.

    WFRP 1st ed is by far the the most inspirational RP game for me, what with the Warhammer background, how could you go wrong. I'm not a fan of the newer edition, too much like D&D i.e. different types of attacks, rules for everything, fortune points (basically making you less fearfully death) etc etc. I'm all in favour of the KISS system of RP......let the story be king.

    There, my ramble over.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, third was a downer for me. I am in the midst of writing my take on it. Stay tuned and welcome!

      Delete
  2. Ages ago I read an interestinv point regarding miniatures in RPGs. It ran along the lines of, "once the minis are on the battlemap, combat is presumed, yet the beauty of an RPG is that encounters can be resolved by almost anything the players and GM can imagine".

    ReplyDelete